Bike Hire Reservation
Before you start
You will receive a hire bike with a setup as close as we can when you arrive.
Dimensions you need to provide
- A Measurement – Distance from Floor to Top of Saddle
- B Measurement – Distance from Floor to Centre of Handlebars (near the stem)
- C Measurement – Distance from Front of Saddle to centre of Handlebars
- D Measurement – Distance from Centre of Bottom Bracket to Front of Seat
Resources you will need
- Tape measure — preferably with a metric scale
- Spirit level — if you don’t have a spirit level, substitute with a hard cover book or any other solid flat object that is about A5 size (or around 21×15cm)
- Plumb-line — or use piece of string with a weight attached
- Flat surface — preferably with a wall to lean your bike against
Floor to Top of Saddle
- Stand the bike as upright as possible against a wall or post
- Place a spirit level or hard cover book across the top of the saddle
- Take the vertical measurement from the floor to the bottom edge of the book or spirit level
Floor to centre for handlebars (near the stem)
- Still with the bike as upright as possible take the vertical measurement from the floor to the centre of the handlebars close to the stem.
- Keep the tape as vertical as possible, small variations will not cause significant discrepancies as long as you measure to the centre of the bars.
Front of saddle to centre of handlebars
This measurement is taken from the tip of the saddle to the centre of the handlebars in the middle of the stem clamp.
- Measure along the straight-line between the two points (possibly at an angle to the floor)
- Keep the tape straight from the tip of the saddle down (or up as the case may be) to the centre of the handlebar clamp
- Avoid measuring the horizontal parallel to the ground
Centre of bottom-bracket to front of saddle
- Set the bike as upright as possible and set a plumb-line from the tip of the saddle.
- Ensure the plumb-line is able to hang freely and is not resting on frame.
- Measure from the plumb-line to the centre of the crank. This may be easier to do with the help of another person.